How To Increase Kitchen Garden Yield: Every passing day, the value and interest in Kitchen Garden are increasing among the people. This is mainly because of two reasons: One can get some peace of mind and rejuvenation from their busy lives and can get fresh vegetables and other food items without any toxic materials for the family. Hence the number of people opting to have a Kitchen Garden in the urban areas is increasing. Though it is quite common in village areas to have a Kitchen Garden, in Urban areas, it is very difficult. This is because of the congested area where city dwellers live in.
Hence it is important to have a perfect plan to raise the Kitchen Garden. Even if you have a well planted Kitchen Garden, many people face a common problem, that is Less Yield. There are many ways which you can use to increase the Kitchen Garden Yield. Since you will have this Kitchen Garden in a relatively small area, you need to consider few things to increase the Kitchen Garden or Terrace Garden Yield. Since one must have some technical knowledge about the same, here we are with the things that you have to follow to maximize the Kitchen Garden yield. Please Look at the below things, that you should follow.
How to Increase the Kitchen Garden Yield or Terrace Garden
1. Type of Soil: Soil is the primary criterion that you should look out for. Instead of regular Red soil or Black soil, use organic matter like compost, vermicompost, Yard trimmings, peat, Food wastes, Leaves, Manure (cow, horse, sheep, poultry), Mushroom compost etc. Soils which also has Nitrogen is also favorable. If the soil is rich in nutrient content, there are high chances of getting more yield. Make sure that your garden has round beds which are perfect for a Kitchen Garden.
If you are using your terrace for gardening, then you should consider it only when it has at least 2-3 hours of sunlight. For Terrace Gardening, you need to have pots, containers, grow bags, buckets etc. These Containers can be in any kind of forms, size, and shapes. In these different containers, you have to add organic matter for better growth.
How To Increase Kitchen Garden Yield
2. Vegetable Varieties: There are a number of endless possibilities regarding the type of plants that you want to have in Kitchen Garden. Hence one should think in a broader way to select the varieties of vegetable plants. Since we want to have the maximum yield, you need to look for certain features. A Variety should have been ideal for small gardens or containers, great disease resistance, better heat- or cold tolerance, improved yields, and other features. Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Peas are the high yielding vegetable varieties. You can give top priority in planting these type of varieties in your Kitchen or Terrace Garden.
3. Seeds: After Soil, Seeds are the other main aspect that one has to concentrate on. One of the reasons for less yielding is the quality of seeds. One should not buy low-quality seeds. Seeds which are certified, high quality, high yielding and Disease free are to be selected for Kitchen and Terrace Gardening. Other features or characters to have a look are variety, germination percentage, vigor, purity, and appearance.
4. Sowing: Sowing of seeds is an important step in Kitchen Gardening. Since it is a Kitchen Garden, most of the people do not follow proper method while sowing. This will result in the failure of germination. For Sowing off seeds, prepare the soil by making furrows. For the depth of furrows and spacing, check the packet instructions of seeds that you bought. Also, prepare the furrows and sow the seeds in North-South Direction which will help in getting maximum sunlight.
How To Increase Terrace Garden Yield
5. Smart Plant Spacing: Since you have a small space for Kitchen Gardening, you need to have plant the vegetables smartly. Plant spacing also pumps the yield in Kitchen Garden. Since you have less space, try to plant in triangle pattern rather than a square pattern. With Triangle pattern, you can fit up to 14% more plants. Also, you can avoid overcrowding of plants with this type. Also, to decrease the pest and disease incidence, the spacing is important. It will also decrease the competition between plants for water, nutrients, sunlight etc.
6. Intercultural Operations: Operations that we do between sowing and harvesting are Intercultural Operations. This includes weeding, mulching, and application of fertilizers.
- Weeding: Weeding is the Removal of unwanted plants from the Kitchen Garden or Terrace Garden. Weeding is done manually by hand. You can also use a sickle which will reduce your time and your effects. Since weeds take away all the nutrients and water, they have to be removed as early as possible.
- Mulching: Mulching is important to retain moisture in Sunny Days and in Summer Season. For that, apply a 2 to 3-inch layer of organic matter. You have to apply this Mulch just above the ground so that it will cool the soil, and retains soil moisture. Another important feature of Mulching is, it reduces weeds.
- Fertilizer Application: To apply fertilizers, you can make furrows just beside the seed furrows. Here you can apply fertilizers. You should not use any chemical fertilizers. There are a number of organic fertilizers that you can apply. Few examples are green manures, marine compost, meat compost etc.
How To Increase the Kitchen Garden Yield
7. Watering: You should not over water at the same time do not under water. On an average, watering plants every alternate day will help plants to sustain in the summer. You should also water just before the Mulching which helps in retaining the moisture content. Also, one has to be careful while watering. If the soil drainage is weak, you should not water frequently. It is completely ok if you water 2-3 days in the winter season, since the requirement of water is less. If the leaves are drooping during the Summer season, you have to water the plants regularly.
8. Pest and Disease Incidence: Pest and disease incidence is quite common at the same time very problematic. It reduces the yield considerably. Hence there are few techniques that you can follow to reduce Pest and Disease Incidence. Check the following Methods:
- Neem Kernel extracts 500 to 2000 ml per tank (10 liters capacity)
- Garlic, Chilli, Ginger extract 500 to 1000 ml per tank (10 liters capacity)
- 10 % cow’s urine is sprayed once in 10 days thrice.
- Light Trap
- Yellow sticky trap
- Neem as pest repellent
9. Shed Nets: In the recent times, Shed Nets are getting enough popularity in the urban areas. Irrespective of the weather conditions, Shed Nets helps in increasing the Kitchen Garden yield. It also Protects from pest and airborne diseases. This Shed Net will help a lot in protecting plants from Natural and sudden weather disturbances. In this case, one must construct a framework. After that, a shed net of color green should be added to the framework. This Shed Net will reduce the incidence of Sunlight to the plants. This Shed Net has a huge role in the Terrace Gardening.
These are the different types of steps that will help you to increase the yield in Kitchen Garden or Terrace Garden.